Rooted in the word

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Colossians 2:6-7 (NIV)

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.

Rooted. A tree has roots that run deep and they help it grow by gathering nutrients and water and keeping it stable. Even through the harshest, driest summer, the tree with deep roots can draw it's strength from it's great foundation. I must also be rooted in Christ Jesus if I want to live a life pleasing to God like I say I do.

How can I make sure that I'm rooted and built up in Christ? God, please continue to teach me from your word, through your people, and through my experiences. Give me a continual thirst for knowledge of you. Help me to stay focused on eternity, rather than just the moment, so that I may live in Christ Jesus. I want to learn from you how to be a husband and a father. Thank you for your love, freedom, and mercy. Amen.

2 comments:

Gaby said...

I love the imagery of a tree to show how we're connected to God. We are rooted in Him and the Holy Spirit will bear fruit in this "tree" ...the fruit of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control.

Tainted Cabbage said...

This reminds me of Jesus if you even had faith the size of a mustard seed you could do awesome stuff. And I know I don't have that kind of faith, so I would imaging I have a long ways to go in getting rooted.