Having Plenty

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Philippians 4:12 (NIV)

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
Timothy 6:8-9 (NIV)
But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge men into ruin and destruction.
Hebrews 13:5-6 (NIV)
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."
So we say with confidence,
"The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?"

I have not learned how to be content in any situation. I don't really know what it is to be in need, but I know what it is to have plenty. I have felt increasingly selfish in anticipation for my birthday ... a day that's all about me? Right? Nope. Jesus never said be "selfless everyday except for your birthday."

Stuff is stuff. God, please help me in transforming my heart and my mind to be content with what I have and to always be thankful. Keep me from a life of seeking materialistic pleasures. Seeking the latest and greatest is empty, ungrateful, and leaves you hungry. Lord, especially now that we are shopping for a new car, give me wisdom in decision making - for I have a track record of making selfish decisions. Thank you for not being finished with me yet.

1 comments:

Gaby said...

Remember that song, "You're not finished with me, yet" ?? I don't actually remember the title of the song- but I'm pretty sure you know it. I'm glad that God is not done with either of us as we learn to be good parents and good spouses. Love you.